Friday 8 August 2014

Kept you waiting, huh?




It's been a while since my last blog, so my apologies for not maintaining a steady output.  I had received some incredibly kind and constructive comments that inspired me to write something with a little more narrative.  As such I have been wrestling with a few concepts in regards to telling a proper story - one that seems to flit between masquerading as a screenplay, moonlighting as a graphic novel before flinging open it's closet doors and coming out as full blown novel. 

I have read that there are two kinds of writers out there:  Firstly, the ones who can pour their minds onto paper; their ideas, concepts and imaginations just flow from the mind to the tip of the pen (or finger), ready to be mixed and formulated in a prolific paste, sculpted into coherent form and design. 

Then there is the second type of writer.  One who has to fight to extract every syllable from their imagination and meticulously plan it's positioning on the page before it's place dissolves back into the cluttered space from whence it came.  I have found that I fit very much into the latter category.  I love writing and believe I may have some interesting ideas.  Only conveying them is as easy as peeling a coconut with my eyelids.  I see what I want to achieve in my head but translating it to page is an agonising process. I have been vexed with a little misfortune such as massive chunks not saving and the eternal battle to try and fit 36 hours worth of activity into a regular working day - a problem I know besets everybody at various junctures in life. I'm not complaining, just getting my excuses in order...  

Of course, lack of motivation, willpower and an addiction to Xbox has had nothing to do with my inability to sit down and commit a few hours a week to putting pen to paper. I think we all have aspirations we feel we could and possibly should attain if  not the excuse for not finding more time. I have nothing but admiration for those who can pull themselves out of the malaise and drudgery that surrounds them and focus on an singular aspect to improve upon or commit to.

On my list of 'Stuff to excel at when you can find the time' (which I promise exists only in my head) is the following:

  • Fine tune my Bass guitar skills
  • Learn to play the Ukele.
  • Learn to spell 'Ukulele.'
  • Try and make the remaining 958 drinks from my book of 1000 cocktails.
  • Speak immaculate Greek. Or German. I really can't decide.
  • Voice a Transformer/Thundercat/Ninja Turtle/Any kind of cartoon character
  • Become a level 75 Bard... in 'Real Life.'


It would be a little easier if I didn't have the attention span of an ADHD Goldfish (which incidentally don't actually have as poor memories as you might think - Bam! - Knowledge!) 

While looking for a source to back this up (I originally read the truth about Goldfish in a book derived from the excellent TV series IQ) I stumbled on to these two links, which I found slightly ironic considering the topic of poor memory: 

Who needs a memory, or indeed recycled news when you have the internet? I think this has also highlighted my ability to get sidetracked rather excellently.  
Homer chasing a squirrel

So I have returned and have promised myself to keep this blog updated more frequently - I shall also endeavour to get this particular narrative that has been swirling about my grey matter for the last few years into a cohesive formulation of words so those who wish to read it can - I am all too aware in peoples faith in me and I have promises to keep! 

Statutory lighthearted Legal disclaimer: The author of this blog is well aware that 'trying to write some stuff' is a world apart from being an actual writer and aplogises for any perceived pretentiousness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment